Dark Eternity - X Omega

DXO: Reboot Edition

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Children of the Atom - X-Men

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 pm

It didn't take long for Kim to realize that it was going to take nothing short of a miracle to find her parents, if they were even there at all.

Kim ran as fast as she could, avoiding wreckage and looking at every person she came across to see if they were her family. Unfortunately for her, while Crenshaw was a small town, it still had a high number of people who weren't related to her. Finding the two that were was like finding a needle in a haystack, and she'd never been good at that game. It didn't help that all the 'hay' was running around and frantically screaming. That was a little distracting.

One scream to her right was particularly distracting, high-pitched and young. She looked over to find a small boy, staring up into the sky, where the flaming front half of a car was headed straight for him.

Kim didn't think, only moved. She dashed at the boy and wrapped herself around him when she reached him, pulling him close and keeping her back to the car. Heat raced through her veins as her body prepared for what was about to come, and she braced herself for impact.

Impact wasn't fun. It sent her flying as the car exploded upon landing, and by proxy the child. She kept her grip and managed to turn in midair so she didn't fall on him, and skidded until momentum couldn't take her any farther. Kim took a calming breath and looked down to see if the kid was alright. To her relief he was, if scared out of his wits. He stared up at her, eyes wide as saucers.

"Go." She said.

He didn't need to be told twice.

Kim watched as he stood and ran towards a man, a woman, and two smaller children who they carried, presumably his family. They only glanced at her briefly before the father grabbed his son's hand and the family ran off to safety. The child stared back at his savior in something like awe until more debris fell and blocked off the line of sight.

Kim stood and quickly assessed herself. She wasn't hurt of course, couldn't be, but her backpack was in shambles. It was a little sad, seeing as she'd been fond of it and its contents, but better that than the boy. She let the sadness and backpack both slide off her shoulders before she began searching for her parents again.

And then, perhaps by good karma, Kim got the miracle she needed and spotted her parents.

“Mom! Dad!” She called as she ran up to them, tackling them in a hug before letting go. “I'm so glad I found you! Are you guys okay? You look fine, oh man, I'm so glad! Thank GOD you're not hurt!”

“We're glad you're safe too, pet.” Kim's dad said as he pulled her back in for another quick embrace.

A gasp from Gina startled them both. “Kimberly, your arm! What happened to your arm?!”

Kim pulled away from her dad and glanced down at the appendage. The shoulder and upper part of it were now covered in stone-like scales, the same kind as there'd been after she fell on that tree the night before. She must have fallen on something while protecting the little boy to have that happen. Some of her body had become fire-proofed as well, to protect her from the flames and the explosion, but that was less noticeable than the scales. “I think I fell on something-”

“What if someone saw you?! What if someone knows?!

“Love, I think we've got bigger problems right now.”

Kim mentally thanked her dad for being a voice of reason. Her mom tended to get rather panicky (if not outright hysterical) in highly stressful situations, and this was one of those situations in spades.

“Mason, you don't understand! Crenshaw is such a gossipy little town-”

“There's barely any Crenshaw left now, Mom! Most of it's falling from the sky!” As if on cue, what might have once been a streetlamp slammed into the ground about thirty feet away from the Neumanns. “We've gotta go, like right now.”

“Go where?” Gina asked, panicked and baffled. “You just said there's none of Crenshaw left! Where would we even go?”

“That way, into the woods.” Kim answered as she pointed. “I saw Ms. Munroe and her friends-”

“You saw who now?”

Right. Memory wipe. She forgot about that. “Err. I saw some of the mutants who were fighting against those brotherhood mutants head that way. I'm sure they'll help-”

“Absolutely not!”

Kim stared at her mom incredulously. “What? Why not?”

“Why not?! Look around you!” She gestured to the chaos surrounding them. "Everything that's happening is a giant example of why not! The town is falling from the sky, people are dying all around us, some of them being killed by the ones fighting! Everything's going up in flames! How can you not see why?!”

They literally did not have time for this. The majority of Crenshaw was going to fall on them in what couldn't be more than a minute. Kim glanced at her dad, hoping for help, but got nothing from him. With an inward sigh, Kim turned back to her mom. “They're not all the same, Mom! There's two groups of them and only one of them caused all this! The others are good! We need to go-”

“No! We're not going to any...we're not going and that's final!” Gina burst out, then sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, looking extremely stressed out. “Lucy why-”

“Kimberly.”

“...What?”

“My name is Kimberly." The words were all but a snarl as Kim glared at her mom, abruptly furious.

There was a long pause in the conversation as Gina's anger seemed to wilt away, replaced by something akin to disappointment. She took a deep breath, and then let it go. “...Kimberly. Right.”

It was almost as if the situation had done a 180, with the daughter enraged and the mother comparatively subdued. The father and husband stayed silent, never one to argue and definitely not one to butt into an argument, even one between his own wife and daughter. Especially one between his wife and daughter.

The reversal only lasted a moment, as Kim exhaled and forced herself to relax. “Mom. I know you're scared and confused right now, but you have to trust me. The people I'm taking you to are good. They'll help you. They'll protect you. I promise everything will be just fine, but we have to go now, or there won't be any time to get to them. Please, Mama.”

“...No.”

Kim bit back a groan. “Mom, come on-”

“You're going to join them, aren't you? Those...those mutants. You're going to join them, do things like this?”

“Mom, I-”

“Do you really think that they're good? That they want to help people? You're being stupid. You're so naive, you can never see anything but that false goodness you always go on about. It's not real! It's not real, and they're not good!”

“Mom, they're not-”

“They're lying, baby girl, they're trying to trick you! They don't really care about helping or protecting people! They're mutants! Why would they care about humans?! They don't! They only every hurt them! They just want you on their side! They just want to take you away from me!”

“MOM, would you PLEASE just LISTEN-”

“I'M NOT LETTING YOU BE TAKEN AWAY AGAIN, LUCY!”

“I! AM NOT! LUCY!” Kim screamed down at her mother, absolutely lost to her sudden rage. “I have NEVER BEEN HER, and I will NEVER BE HER! I'm KIMBERLY! Why can't you understand-”

Heat raced through Kim's body just before her head snapped to the side. She stumbled, trying to keep her balance, but fell over some debris on the ground. She laid there, absolutely still for a few seconds that felt like an eternity. Then, slowly, she brought a hand up to her cheek. It was covered in greenish grey scales. Kim looked to her mother, whose hand was still raised in the air, and stared, uncomprehending. She and her parents had argued many times throughout her life, and there had been everything from banter to all-out screaming matches, but her parents had never hit her before.

“...Go.”

Kim could only stare, frozen in place. Nothing made sense anymore. “M-Mama?”

“I said GO!” Her mom snarled, backing away from her child. Mason looked as bewildered as his daughter, but followed Gina just the same. He always did. “GO! Go to those mutants you so desperately wish to be with! Get out of my sight!”

The animosity in the words made Kim flinch. “Mama-”

“You're an ingrate.” Gina hissed as she continue to back away, her husband by her side. “Your dad and I have done so much for you, all these years. We've fed you, we've clothed you, we've loved you and kept you safe, but you're still not happy! We've done everything we could, but what do you do the first chance you get? You try to run away! You try to leave us!”

Kim shook her head, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. “Mama, no, I-”

Gina cut Kim off. “We did so much, but you'd always run away, and now you're trying to do it again. But this time it'll be permanent. Even though we love you so much, you've always been selfish and wanted more than we could give you. And we tried to give it all, but the world isn't something we can give you! It's not safe, and you just can't seem to understand that! It's not some beautiful place filled with love and joy, just like your mutants aren't who you think they are! But you won't believe me, will you?”

Kim shook her head harder, and reached out a hand towards her mom, as if to stop her. “Mama, PLEASE, I just-”

“So GO!” Gina yelled, pointing a finger to the woods. “Go with your mutants, who you believe are so good and so much better than us! You'll see. You'll see that I was right all along! The world's a dark and terrible place, and I tried to keep you safe from it, but now you'll get to see for yourself! But don't come crying to me when you find out that you were wrong!”

And she was crying now, in earnest. “MAMA-”

“Because I'm tired of this! I'm tired of trying to protect you from dangers you welcome with open arms, of my love not being enough for you! So leave! LEAVE! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!” Gina screamed at the top of her lungs, nothing but hate and pain in her eyes, and finally turned and left her daughter behind.

“MAMA! MA – AAAAAH!” The desperate plea for her mother became a scream as more of Crenshaw fell from the sky, landing right between Kim and the woman she was calling for.

It was, or had been, a building, the remains of which blocked both the view of and the way to her parents. There was no way for Kim to get to them, and there was no time for her to look for another way. There was no time to try and pull them to safety. It was too late. Time was up. All of Crenshaw was now falling on top of them, trying to crush and kill them all. Her parents were okay, they had to be okay, but even if she somehow got around the wreckage, she wouldn't be able to find them.

And even if she found them, they didn't want her anymore.

She sobbed, loud gasping wails and hot fat tears that dripped down her face, but she stood up. Even if she couldn't bring her parents to the woods, to safety, she had to go there herself. She'd promised. She'd promised Cam that she would, that she would find him and that she would be unharmed and that he could trust her. She'd promised him, and it was a promise she wasn't about to break, even if her heart felt like it was breaking in two.

Kim wiped her eyes and ran towards the woods.

Towards her friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 am

The rumbles of crashes and the flash of fire that was once the town of Crenshaw could still be felt even out there in the woods, where emerald eyes observed the orange glow from the treetops, stand across a strong branch. The breeze tossed Cameron's wrappings and jacket gently, though with enough speed to passing the floating ashes, still glowing, all the way from ground zero. The stars overhead seemed faded against the haze of fire. Cameron felt the notion to return to the ground and check in on the other mutants that had followed him, if they were even still there. Still, he took one last, long look toward the wasteland that was once the town of Crenshaw. He was never welcomed with open arms, but that rooftop had been his family for the past few years.

He would miss it.

He descended the tree, using the branches as steps until stepping down on the ground. To his shock, he was not alone. The mutants, all three of them, sat there, a few downed logs serving as seats for the Harris Siblings, as the crimson-streaked girl Rosa stood, facing away from what was once her home. Cameron stepped closer to them, only hearing the repetitive voice of the young man with the light-brown hair muttering to himself, staring at the ground.

"This isn't happening, this isn't happening, this isn't happening. Sis, this isn't happening, right?"

His sister with the auburn hair didn't turn to him, but rather folded her arms across her chest.

"It's happening."

"Can we....go home?"

"Not yet, it's too hot, too many eyes looking."

Cameron was not a fan of talking to anyone, let alone people he had never met, but as he arrived to the sort of circle being formed, he placed the faces of the siblings: the ones who were stealing that car.....the ones who almost attacked Kim....

Kim.....

"Are.....are you all.....alright?"

"I'm fine."

Rosa spoke quickly and sharply, not giving the question much thought. The siblings did not respond, either out of mistrust or in the real shock of everything that had happened that night. Cameron waited, but when there was no response, he turned back toward the town and the trees tagged with green lines across them fading into the night. He knew she would be safe...

But he couldn't resist the thought that he should have followed her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:58 am

Kim managed to make it to the edge of the woods without any real incident. She paused as soon as she got there to catch her breath. Between the smoke, being out of shape, and still crying as she was, all the running wasn't easy on her poor lungs. She leaned against a nearby tree, concentrating on breathing and calming herself down.

Eventually she got to a manageable state. She didn't change back, as that would probably be pointless until she got even further and she didn't want to keep Cam waiting longer than she had to. Still, she managed to stop crying and get her breath back, which were two of the most important things.

The most important thing was not to dwell.

Now the only real problem was how to find Cam and the others. The forest was huge, and she had minimal experience in navigating it. How was she supposed to find them? Kim sighed, wiping the evidence of tears from her face and leaning a little more against the tree. Maybe she could-

Heat flashed through her once again, and Kim glanced down at her elbow, where the change took place. The skin there had become the same as where Cam had grabbed her earlier, so that she wouldn't be poisoned. She took a closer look at the tree. It was hard to tell in the dark, but the moonlight shone down just bright enough to make out something shiny with a green tint on it. Kim checked other nearby trees and saw the same substance on some of them, and those that had it made a line of sorts into the woods.

"Cam, you're the best." She said to herself before she took off running again, eager not to waste any more time.

It wasn't too much longer until she reached them, still all together. Grinning, she announced, "Found you!"

And she was very glad she had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:34 am

There was a stir in the group at the announcement and arrival of Kim, heads sort of turning up to her, and then turning back to the ground or whatever it was they had set their focus on. All except Cam, who took his steps closer toward Kim. He remained calm and collected, but on the inside, he was very glad to see her.

"Glad you made it."

He looked around, surveying the area with quick glances. He could see no one else, no shapes among the trees, no breaking of twigs. He sensed no one.

"Did you find them?"

Her face was slightly flustered, as one's face would remain after a session of intense weeping, yet Cameron did not acknowledge it. He would await her response before anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 am

Kim's grin wavered and she ducked her head. "...I saw them, but I couldn't reach them." Her voice cracked with the words, but she sucked in a deep breath and met Cam's eyes again, smile firmly back in place. "But! I know they're okay. Gut feeling, women's intuition or whatever, I just know they're safe. So it's all good! That's all that matters."

She glanced between Cam and the others in the group. "So are you guys alright? That was pretty crazy back there. Well, that's probably the understatement of the century, but you get what I mean. Everyone okay? Oh, and I'm Kimberly by the way. Probably should have said that first. My bad. Hi!"

She stopped herself there so the others would have a chance to answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 am

A long set of sentences was not the best way of easing into conversation with those who had recently saw something right out of a wicked witch's worst nightmare. The Harris siblings looked solemnly between each other, speaking without words in regard to how to respond. They said nothing for a long pause, the awkwardness lingering until another quick, almost stern voice spoke from their side.

"I'm fine. Thanks."

It was Rosa, now turned to face the new arrival of Kim. In the calm, her appearance was much easier to observe. Her jacket, a dark red leather, hung over a horizontally striped black and red shirt, which touched down to blue jeans and black boots. She didn't necessarily seem happy, though her expression did not denote aggression.

"Yeah....yeah, I'm fine too."

Trevor was pretty sure that was a lie, but the light-haired loudmouth said it anyway. He leaned his chin down on his folded hands as Sherrie simply nodded, not wanting to say more than she had to. Trevor finally looked up, though what he said was not so much a greeting of friendship.

"I don't think telling you our names is the best call right now....no offense."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:52 am

Kim grinned and nodded. "Alright, fair enough. Just seems rude not to say my own, you know? Gotta at least introduce myself before I start blabbing away. But I'm glad you guys aren't hurt. What about you, though?" With those words she turned to Cam. "You didn't answer. Did you get hurt? There was a lot of everything flying everywhere. Did something hit you? Or burn you? Or cut you? Or something? Or did you maybe nod and I missed it? I hope you nodded."

She glanced her friend over for injuries, but didn't see any, and hoped that was the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 am

Cameron nodded. He hadn't been listening, his mind locked back onto the way Kim had bowed her head, and brushed off his question. There was something more than what she was saying, but it would be her choice to tell. He scratched his face through the bandages.

"My name's Sherrie."

Trevor shot a "what the hell are you doing?" glance to his sister, who seemed to have no regret in her decision.

"What did I just say?"

"You're not the boss of me."

"But apparently I'm the only one thinking!"

"They're in the same boat as us!"

Trevor took a moment to think, realizing it to be true. There were no authorities out there after them, or rather, what would be chasing them would not be concerned with their crimes, but with their existence as a mutant. They were all mutants. All hunted, three of them, as far as he was concerned, were now without a home.

"Yeah....yeah you're right. I'm....Trevor."

"Rosa."

Rosa nodded to the group, not sure what else to say. The group fell silent, waiting for the last member to speak. Cameron had lost himself once again in thought, not one used ot being in groups of people. His trail of thought led away easily.

"So what about you, Slytherin?"

The sudden comment from Trevor caught Cam's attention with a light shake, though he tugged his bandages further up his face at the mentioning of his appearance. 

"I'm.....Cameron."

"What's up with the face wraps, man?"

"I uh, well.....my face......people don't..."

"We're not just people. We're mutants, just like you. Lose the mummy deal, you're freaking me out anyway."

Could he? Could he really remove those bandages that he had wore so long now that it felt like part of his own skin? He thought about it, and it was hard to argue. He took a deep breath, reaching up to the top of his head and unhooking the end of the bandage, slowly peeling away the wrappings as if shedding like his genetic siblings. He bowed his head, hooding the wrappings in his hand for a moment before dropping them. He hesitated before place them into his pocket, and running a hand through his black with green hue hair to sweep it over to the right slightly. He looked up, and what was there widened the eyes around him slightly. His jawline had been formed very streamlined, his lips a slightly dark shade of green. As he heaved another sighed, his almost vampiric fangs gleamed in the moonlight. Though he still seemed shy to this exposure, there was one fact the group was starting to see about the formerly disguised snake mutant:

He was handsome.

"Of course he's hot."

"Guess you're not option 1, anymore."

"Thanks. You make me feel like a million bucks, Sher."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am

"Oh, so you weren't just keeping your face hidden because you're a ninja! It's because you're a looker, too! Wanted to make all the girls stop swooning, I bet – whoa, fangs! You have fangs! Wow! How awesome is that? Dangit, you just keep getting cooler and cooler! You must have like a million awesome points by now. I'll never catch up." Kim jokingly pouted, then giggled and bounced on her toes.

Kim looked over the group and memorized the names of each of them, giggling more at Trevor and Sherrie's banter. "It's nice to meet you all! And know your names. Otherwise I would have probably had to come up with mental nicknames and I'm terrible at those. Probably would have let them slip at some point, too. That'd have been embarrassing."

She stopped talking for a few seconds, turning thoughtful. "Hey, did any of you see which way those guys who were fighting the brotherhood people went? I know they went into the woods, but that's it..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:58 am

If Cameron could blush, he may have been there. Any attention was strange to him (outside of the finger pointing and the mocking of his appearance), but they were complimenting him? Him? His looks were the source of appeal to these people? It was a lot more than he could comprehend, but for now he would meet the response with the same technique he had used for everything else: silence.

"Hard to see faces when houses are falling on you."

Trevor wished that he had a better response, but he didn't. Sherrie turned to Kim, shaking her had with a slight frown on her face.

"All we did was run. No time to look back."

Rosa only shook her head, arms still folded. The mood around the camp shifted down, if that was even possible. For a blink they had some form of hope, and then were reminded it was more than likely gone. Cameron wish he knew more about what was happening, but he didn't. Still, he wanted to help. He wanted to do more than just stand there like he had done back at the clearing.....though the X-Men were not the only ones he wished to find.

"What if we....."

His whisper was hard for the others to hear at first, but they quickly acclimated as they leaned in closer.

"What if we send out someone to scan the area? I know the woods......I'm the most quiet. I can get it done."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:06 am

"That sounds like a good idea, but would you be okay on your own?" Kim asked, turning from 'thoughtful' to 'thinking aloud'. "Not that I'm doubting your ninja skills or anything, but it's been really crazy tonight. Wouldn't it be safer for someone to go with you? Would you mind me coming? Ah, but I'm no good at being sneaky. Would I need to be if it was just scanning, though? Well you did say you're the most quiet, so yeah. I can't do quiet. Dangit. If you don't mind then I'd appreciate you going, but be super careful okay? I really don't want you getting hurt."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:30 am

"I won't be long."

Cameron didn't really wait for any kind of census to be made or vote to be held. He didn't so much as stick around for the good bye he wouldn't have given anyway. Like a shadow he swept off into the dark of the trees, not a footstep to hear him by, not a cracking twig or leaf.....nothing.

"Well.....that happened."

Trevor rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. The snake kid was just going to end up screwing himself over. There was nobody out there, no one left, and if they were they sure the hell weren't looking for them. Right now they were a group of punk kids with funny quirks in way over their heads. A few moments of silence passed by once again, followed by another few, and then a few more still, and finally the silence broke with the words of the red-streaked girl.

"So what can you guys do?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:19 am

"Well, I can't get hurt." Kim said as she gestured to her scaled arm. "If something tries to hurt me, my body changes so that it won't. There's a lot of things it can do, like these scales, or gills, or just reflexes...honestly, I'd probably need to write them down to keep them straight, but the bottom line is my first. I can't get hurt." Laughing good-naturedly, she added, "So that whole noble sacrifice thing wouldn't have worked, because I can't die and I certainly wasn't gonna let them hurt Cam."

She glanced between the others, an incredibly curious expression on her face. "What about you guys? What can you do? You had some kind of stone crossbow, didn't you, Rosa? Which was totally awesome, by the way. But does that mean you can control rocks? Or am I completely off?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:43 am

"Well it depends...."

Rosa stepped ahead, laying her hand upon a tree. As she pulled her hand away, the very wood beneath began to warp, thinning until forming a near-perfect bo staff. She didn't bother spinning the weapon or doing anything fancy, the forming of it impressive enough.

"I can manipulate matter through contact. I touch something, I shape it however I want, I do what I want with it."

She stomped her foot lightly, a smooth orb of ground popping up, Rosa catching it in mid-air.

"No big deal."

"I control electronics."

Sherrie reached into her pocket, removing from it a cell phone. She reached within and popped out the battery, before setting it down on the log next to her. With a quick glance the screen upon the phone began to light up, activating as if the battery was still connected.

"I can mess with electrical currents, make things work when and how I want them to."

"So she can be your own personal charger."

"Trevor's just mad because he turns flat."

Trevor frowned at his sister.

"I don't turn flat!........I turn flat and slip through any space. I'm pretty much a human skeleton key. Me and Sher together can get into anything, anywhere, anytime."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:42 am

Kim was openly amazed by each of their gifts. Between adrenaline and pure excitement, she practically had to bounce on her toes or else go insane from being too still. "Wow! Wow wow wow! That's so cool! Manipulating matter? Controlling electronics? A human skeleton key? That's so awesome! You guys are super cool! Man, I've been meeting so many cool people these last few days, haven't I? First the Professor and Ms. Munroe, then Cam, and now you guys! Seriously, wow! I feel kinda lucky!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:02 am

"The Professor?"

Sherrie perked an eyebrow at the sound of the mentioning, finding the phrasing curious. She shifted forward upon the log she sat back down upon, turning her head to face her ear a little closer to Kim.

"Who's the Professor?"

"Ah crap, they're studying us now, aren't they?"

Trevor sighed, shaking his head as if he had been speaking those exact lines his entire life.

"Frickin' told ya."

"Shut up, I want to hear."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:30 am

Kim giggled at the siblings' banter, then explained. "Mr. Charles Xavier is, far as I know, a professor of some kind at a place that teaches mutants to understand and control their gifts. He called the place a facility, and Cam called it an institute. Either way it sounds pretty fancy. Anyhow, he visited my house the other day trying to convince my mom to let me join, and we talked a bit. Well, sorta. He's a mutant too, a telepath, so all the actual conversation took place in our heads. It was the coolest! He was super patient and nice, too. He also brought a friend with him, Ms. Munroe. I can't remember her first name...Aurora? No, that's not right...Ororo! That was it! He also brought his friend Ms. Ororo Munroe, and she could control the weather. I saw her, actually, out in that battle. She was with the guys fighting the brotherhood people, so I figure if she's with those guys, so is the Professor. That's why I was wondering if any of you guys had seen where they went. I wanted to see if I could talk to the Professor or Ms. Munroe or someone."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 am

"Institute? Yep, they want our brains."

Trevor folded his arms, bowing his head as if he had come to some sound conclusion and that his sister and Sherrie were both not glaring holes through his skull with "the heck is wrong with you?" beams from their eyes.

"There's a place out there training mutants?"

Rosa chimed in.

"And you're sure this is for a positive reason? Hard to believe anyone wants us for anything other than tools, especially if they're making us stronger. We need to know these people are trustworthy."

"They did just kind of tear up that field."

Sherrie turned away from her brother and back to the girls.

"And you said the snake guy, Cam, right? You said he knew something about them?"

There was the glimmer of mistrust in her eye. Something didn't add up to the female Harris.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:35 am

"I told you, I want to talk to them." Kim replied with a shrug and a smile. "I don't really know much of anything aside from what I just told you. I want to ask them a lot of questions, find out what went on out there, who they are and what the institute is about. I can't say for fact if they're good or bad until then, though I do believe they're good. But in my eyes those brotherhood people were definitely bad, so I'm not about to go ask them."

Kim tilted her head to the side, thinking. "I don't know if Cam knew about them or of them. He seemed more focused on Professor Xavier than the place, though. I just mentioned him and Cam got really curious and excited and he asked a bunch of questions, like, what was he like, was he still in Crenshaw, was he was still taking mutants to the institute, things like that. Why?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 am

"Because a snake guy talking about the institute like he knows about it seems pretty damn suspicious."

Trevor spoke bluntly but even his to the point shade of speaking didn't seem to shake the other girls from, in the slightest way, agreeing with him. It was a pretty obvious set-up to get a fang in the neck and stuck in a tube full of weird chemicals. Still, he did lead them to safety. They had to think that over as well. Rosa now spoke, saying the same thing at least one other person was thinking.

"We'll need to hear him out. Ask him some questions when he comes back."

She shrugged.

"If we don't trust him......well.......we figure that out then."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:01 am

Kim only shrugged again, still smiling. "Well, you can ask him if you like, but I already trust him. He's my friend, y'know? Besides, even though I can't say I know much about him, seeing as I haven't known him that long, I know Cam's a good person. I mean, he was really scared when he saw the fires in the distance, and even more when we got closer and could see what was happening. But even then, after I rushed out to help you two," here she nodded at the Harris siblings, "he followed me out. Even though he was so scared, even though he knew I couldn't be hurt, he ran out to help. I think he was scared the first time we met, too, but he still came out and spoke to me because he wanted to warn me that it was dangerous. It takes a really good person to be able to do that sort of thing, and Cam is good and kind and would never purposefully hurt any of us. I trust him. But, you guys don't know him, and you're scared, so you can ask what you like. But be nice, okay?"

Kim leaned against a tree and looked out into the woods, wondering when her friend would return and hoping it would be soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 am

"You can ask whatever you want."

The whisper from the brush behind the Harris Siblings struck Trevor with such shock he leaped up in his seat, covering his mouth with his hand when he landed to hold the light scream in and to poorly hide his catching of breath. Cameron stepped out into the clearing, face kept stoic, yet surprisingly still exposed. He passed glances between the stranger mutants, trying to catch any slight movement that would depict hostility. Rosa spoke up,

"This Professor......what do you know?"

"You mean Xavier?"

"Yes. Talk."

Cameron made no sudden movements, but took a moment to think.

"Nothing more than whispers and rumors. I heard of him and his institute when I traveled to Crenshaw.....like, folk tales. I only found out he was real when Kim spoke of his visit."

Sherrie spoke next.

"How'd you know she mentioned that to us?"

"Easy enough......I've been watching for the past ten minutes."

Cameron didn't understand how his statement might have rubbed them the wrong way, or rather, he knew and just plain didn't care. He turned to Kim, shaking his head from left to right.

"Nothing. It's too dangerous to get closer to the town, MRDs all over the place."

"MRDs?!?"

Trevor appeared as if he wanted to hurl his lunch for the past three weeks all over the ground.

"We....we can't wait here, then! We gotta go, we gotta go now!"

"Calm down," his sister had enough. She turned to the rest of the group.

"He's right, though. We can work out whatever.....this is when we're far enough to not get sent to a lab."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:54 am

"Welcome back!" Kim said to Cam when he first spoke up, then nodded in understanding as he told of not finding anyone and the town being inaccessible, as well as in agreement with Sherrie on needing to leave. She still didn't know what an 'MRD' was or what it stood for, but if Trevor's reaction was anything to go by, it wasn't something good. "Alright. Hey Cam, do you know any way out of here that would be safe? You saw where the MRDs are and probably know the woods better than all of us combined. If anyone could get us out of here it'd be you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xShanex

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:04 am

"If we move now, we'll have at least an hour before the Sentinels show up."

Cameron looked off into the distance, between the trees to the total darkness that dwelled there. Darkness that he called friend.

"She's not wrong. I can bring us as far ahead as I know in the woods, but I'm not sure exactly what's beyond it. Just head east until we can find somewhere safe."

"There's nowhere safe."

Trevor spoke up, hoping he would get some kind of assuring response back. He did not.

"I know. So we keep moving."

Cameron said nothing else as he began his journey of thousands of steps with a single one toward the trees, followed in tow by Rosa who said nothing else, just knowing where her best shot was. Sherrie was next, despite the worried look her brother offered her, before he too sighed and stood, joining the caravan to nowhere in particular.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimly

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:30 am

Kim followed along as well, silent for once, as she and the band of mutants ran away from Crenshaw, the place she and her parents had lived for the past five years. A place arguably as much a prison as it was a home to her. A place she would miss regardless. It was pointless to look back, as it was dark and there were trees and the town was nothing but rubble anyway, but she still found herself doing so. She saw nothing but rising smoke from behind her, the ruins obscured by trees, but she remembered the sight, and all the sights before her world crashed and burned around her. Everything was gone, her house and the streets she loved to walk on rare, lonely nights, and she would never see them again. Everything was gone, forever memories and ashes, and the notion was unbearably sad.

Even so, she did not stop smiling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Children of the Atom - X-Men   

Back to top Go down

Children of the Atom - X-Men
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next